This sorbet is as simple as throwing some frozen fruit, yogurt and sugar into a food processor. I added a few other ingredients to dress it up a little but if you don’t have them or don’t want to use them, the sorbet will still taste great.
It literally only takes five minutes from start to finish. It was the perfect treat in this heatwave because I didn’t have do a lot of work and it is actually pretty healthy.
The last few days have been miserably hot in San Diego. When the weather gets really hot like this I like to make sorbet to cool down with. It’s so easy to make with just a little frozen fruit and some yogurt.
I usually make strawberry sorbet because that’s what we almost always have on hand. But this time I wanted to make a mango sorbet. Mangoes are a perfect cool down fruit. On hot, muggy days in India I would often eat a cold mango from the fridge or drink baaflu (mango drink).
Five Minute Mango Chili Sorbet
- 2 cups frozen mangoes
- 2 tbsp thick yogurt like Greek or Arabic yogurt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of red chili powder
- Toss the mango into a food processor and process until the mango chunks are completely broken down. The mango pieces should be about the size of rice grains.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until all the ingredients come together and you have a smooth texture.
- At this point, you can either serve as is (the texture will be like soft serve) or transfer to a plastic container and freezer for about an hour to get a firmer texture.