For most of my life, my dad only knew how to make two things: Chai and fried rice (Indian style). Now he makes many delicious recipes but his Indian fried rice is still a favorite. I always think of him when I make fried rice because when my mom was gone he would make fried rice from leftover rice in the refrigerator.
Fried rice is a great way to reheat rice, completely transforming the leftover rice into a delicious meal. It uses very little oil so it is still pretty healthy, and best of all, it only takes 10 minutes.
Indian Fried RicePrint Pin Rate
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 onion roughly diced
- 1 tsp chopped green chili or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups cooked rice I use Basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 2 tbsp water
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Heat oil in a pan until it shimmers. Toss in the cumin seeds and let cook for about 15 seconds. Toss in the onion and green chili. Stir. Add a little salt and cook until the onions are soft, stirring every couple minutes.
- Add rice, water, chili powder, turmeric and stir.
- Cook until rice is heated through.