Indian style Chicken fried rice, or “Chicken Chopper Rice”, is a great leftover rice recipe. It’s a type of rice commonly found on the streets of Bombay and all over India. It’s an Indian-Chinese recipe, and most people make it in a very Chinese-fried-rice type of way by adding soy sauce. I also make a vegetarian fried rice, check out that recipe if you want to skip the chicken.
I prefer to lean in on the Indian flavors and leave out the soy sauce. Omitting the soy sauce gives it a lighter, springier taste. This recipe is easily modified for whichever you prefer.
Both the protein of the chicken and egg give it some heft, and soy sauce gives it that umami earthiness.
Tips for Cooking Indian Chicken Fried Rice
- Cooked on high heat, have your ingredients ready ahead of time and go quick.
- Using a non-stick pan will make it easier, you don’t want anything to stick to the pan. But as long as you keep stirring, you should be fine.
- For a more “Chinese” flavor, add soy sauce. You can also add garlic.
- Add other vegetables if you want as well. You can add peas, cauliflower, cabbage (common).
What to Serve with Indian Chicken Fried Rice
This is a dish that stands on it’s own. It can be a complete meal since it includes protein and vegetables along with the rice. If you want to serve it as a side dish, it would go great with any Indian-Chinese dish, like vegetable manchurian or chili paneer.
Indian Chicken Fried Rice (Chicken Chopper Rice)
- 1 Tbsp oil any neutral oil with a high point like avocado, peanut, or vegetable oil
- ¾ lb chicken chopped in ½” cubes
- 1 tsp ginger grated or in a paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1-2 green chilies chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp red or green bell pepper sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp water or soy sauce
- Heat oil on medium-high heat in a wok or large skillet. Add chicken, red chili powder, ginger paste, 1/2 of the salt. Cook, stirring often.
- Add egg, and cook.
- Add sliced onion, green chili, bell pepper and sliced garlic.
- Add salt, rice, and 2 Tbsp water or soy sauce.
- Mix well and serve. Garnish with chives.