It’s no secret I love Indian street food. Potato sandwiches are definitely one of my favorites, and they are amazingly simple to make at home! Really they are just a step up from grilled cheese sandwiches, but so full of flavor.
A well made potato sandwich has a delicate crunch to the bread, with a soft interior of savory potato, and just the right amount of gooey cheese. It is served with sweet and tangy ketchup and a spicy cilantro chutney.
I can remember the street vendors making them with old fashioned sandwich irons. These are made up of two square cast iron plates forming a clamshell against each other. Long cast-iron handles are attached to the plates so the vendor can easily flip them and take them out of the fire.
The vendor uses these contraptions so he can make many of them very quickly. At home can be nowhere near as complicated. If you know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, you pretty much already know how to cook a potato sandwich.
In my version, I add a layer of chutney right to the sandwich. Not only is it a beautiful presentation but it also makes it easier to eat as it requires less dipping.
So here’s our contribution to National Potato Day!
- 2 pounds of potatoes boiled and skinned (boil about 20-25 minutes)
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 small red onion chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp oil
- green chutney recipe below
- 1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- Combine the potatoes, ginger, turmeric and red onion in a bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the potato pretty well, but it should have some lumps remaining for texture.
- Make a vaghaar by heating two tablespoons of oil in a pan and roasting the cumin in the oil until fragrant. Pour the oil and cumin into the potato mixture and mix well.
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread the chutney on the unbuttered side of one slice of bread.
- Add a layer of about 1/4 cup of potato mixture over the chutney and spread it evenly, then layer on the cheddar cheese. Put the other slice of bread over this, butter side out.
- Place the sandwich on a warm pan over medium heat. Toast one side of the sandwich this way, then flip it to toast the other side. You may choose to press down on the sandwich as it cooks, or even to use a panini press.
Basic Cilantro ChutneyPrint Rate
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 green chili
- 1 small garlic clove
- 5 almonds or 1/2 tbsp peanuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender, start with just a tablespoon of water.
- Add water as needed to get it to blend well, but use as little as possible.