Ringan Methi nu Shaak is a simple Gujarati eggplant shaak made with fresh fenugreek leaves. In English you might call this dish Fresh Fenugreek and Eggplant Curry, or Methi Banghan ki Subzi in Hindi.
Eggplant is a very common ingredient used throughout India. I find it especially common in Gujarati food. We also love our methi (fenugreek). Fenugreek is values in Ayurveda because it is bitter. Ayurveda loves a balance of flavors, and bitter is a little more difficult to come by. Fenugreek is also valued by people who are breastfeeding, it helps increase milk production.
Whenever you cook with fresh fenugreek leaves, make sure to wash them thoroughly. Fenugreek is grown in sand and sometimes some sand will sneak into your final dish if you aren’t thorough enough. I usually wash it, do my chopping and then wash it again just to be sure.
This eggplant shaak is a typical Gujarati shaak, simple to put together. It is a perfect example of a dish my grandmother loved. Eat it with some puris and you have a classic Gujarati plate.
I have made it often in the pressure cooker, but today I use the Instant Pot because it is more convenient. The Instant Pot or pressure cooker is a great way to prepare any eggplant dish. You can easily make this dish on the stovetop instead, but the pressure cooking helps cook the eggplant fully and also ensures you can get the right texture without using to much oil.
Some ways you might customize Ringan Methi nu Shaak:
- Skip the garlic
- Add ginger instead of garlic
- Use powdered garlic if you don’t have fresh
- Add more or less spice depending on your tastes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 lbs eggplant – cut into 1” cubes
- 1 bunch methi about 1 cup
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp dhana jeeru
- 1 green chili
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp jaggery
- Heat oil. Add jeeru, garlic slices, ginger, turmeric.
- Add eggplant. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add dhana jeeru, redi chili powder, jaggery, green chilies, fenugreek leaves and salt.
- Cook in Instant Pot on high for 4 minutes, followed by quick release of pressure.