When it’s gloomy outside or I’m feeling low, I often make kadhi. It never fails to make me feel better. Yesterday was a super busy day and I came home pretty tired. All I wanted to do was put my legs up and sit on the couch with a steaming bowl of kadhi and rice…and I did just that!
Kadhi is my ultimate comfort food. Kadhi is a traditional Gujarati gravy made with garbanzo bean flour and yogurt. It is pure spicy, creamy goodness. Best of all, it only takes about 20 minutes to make.
- 5 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp grated ginger sometimes if I’m lazy, I just toss in two slices of ginger and take them out before serving
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds optional
- handful of curry leaves optional
- ¾ cup yogurt
- 3 tbsp garbanzo bean flour aka gram flour/besan
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chili powder or to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
- 3 cups water
- In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt to get out the lumps. Whisk in the garbanzo bean flour and when the lumps are whisked away, whisk in the water.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin, fenugreek seeds, garlic and ginger. Stir for about 45 seconds.
- Stir in the yogurt, flour and water mixture. This will sizzle a bunch, just stir through it so that the yogurt does not curdle.
- Stir in the turmeric, chili powder and salt.
- Let the kadhi come to a boil. It will have thickened quite a bit. **Watch the kadhi when it is close to boiling. It has a tendency to boil over.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Serve warm with rice.
Try adding a little less water if you like a thicker texture.
I often add a finely chopped shallot or a couple of tablespoons of chopped onion to the kadhi.
My mom adds a couple of cloves and a cinnamon stick to her kadhi.
Traditionally a little bit of sugar is added to the kadhi. If you want to add a sweet element, try adding about one tsp of sugar.
Garbanzo bean flour should be easy to find at a local health food or Indian grocery store. If not, you can order it online here Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour, 22 oz