Here is a simple and delectable recipe for Garam Masala Baked Delicata Squash that will not only impress your guests but also add a unique touch to your festive spread. It combines the warmth of winter squash with the flavors of garam masala.
About this Recipe
This winter squash, known for its quick cooking time and easy preparation, has become the star of my Indian-inspired Holiday menu. It offers a perfect blend of flavors, combining maple syrup’s sweetness, garam masala’s warmth, and cilantro’s freshness. With only six simple ingredients and minimal prep time, this dish is easy to make and a delightful addition to your holiday feast.
For an authentic Indian flavor, use garam masala and not curry powder. You can use a store-bought version or create your own for a personalized touch. Garam masala provides a subtle kick to the dish, staying true to the flavor balance of Gujarati recipes—sweet, sour, salty, and slightly spicy.
While this dish is crafted with Thanksgiving in mind, its rich flavors and festive appeal make it a versatile addition to any winter holiday table, including Christmas and New Year’s celebrations. Complement it with fall-inspired cocktails like a chai white Russian or a pomegranate gin fizz.
Delicata Squash – Delicata squash is a favorite winter squash. I like it because it cooks relatively quickly, is easy to cut, and requires no peeling.
Maple syrup – maple and squash are a classic combination, and the maple gives it a touch of sweetness. Alternatively, you can use honey or brown sugar if you prefer.
Garam masala – recommend avoiding “curry powder” for an authentic Indian flavor. Use store-bought garam masala or make your own.
Cilantro – for a fresh herb finish.
Lemon Juice – provides the acid to brighten up the squash.
- To add a spicy kick, consider incorporating finely chopped green chili with the cilantro towards the end of preparation.
- Be sure to cook it long enough for the squash to caramelize without overcooking to achieve the perfect balance of flavors and textures.
Masala Delicata Squash
- 2 Delicata squash about 2 pounds
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Small bunch of cilantro
- 3 Tbsp ghee butter, or oil of choice
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare the squash by cutting it into half and removing the seeds. Then cut the squash into 1/4” slices, leaving the peel attached.
- Combine maple syrup, garam masala, ghee, and salt in a bowl. Add squash and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping the squash halfway through.
- Return squash to the bowl. Toss with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lemon.