Here is a refreshing cocktail with the flavors of chai and fall. Make it for Diwali or for a party accompanying an Indian spread.
This comes from the classic drink, Gin Fizz. For this I swapped the gin with bourbon because the caramel notes match better with the notes of chai.
It is made with chai simple syrup, whiskey and Prosecco. I use Prosecco instead of champagne since there is no need for expensive champagne for a mixed drink.
As a garnish, I add a stick of cinnamon, star anise, and a sprinkle of cardamom. The sprinkle of cardamom helps give the drink some cardamom fragrance which enhances the chai flavors of the drink.
I like to make this cocktail because it reminds me of a comforting cup of chai, but it is also a nice sophisticated cocktail. Chai (Indian tea) is something everyone grows up drinking. Even as a child, I drank it twice a day, morning and afternoon.
- If you don’t want to use prosecco, you can use sparkling water, sparkling soda, ginger ale, ginger brew, apple cider.
- You will have to adjust the amount of simple syrup you use if you use something sweet.
- Add chai simple syrup to soda and top with cardamom for a non-alcoholic version
- Sprikle of cardamom on top is optional, but the aromas really enhance the experience
- Garnish of cinnamon stick and star anise are optional
Chai Bourbon Fizz
- ¾ oz Bourbon
- 2 tsp chai simple syrup
- 3 oz champagne or prosecco
- Cinnamon stick garnish
- Star anise garnish
- Pinch of cardamom powder garnish
- Add bourbon and cardamom syrup to a shaker filled with ice, and shake.
- Strain into an ice-filled tumbler. Top with champagne.
- Garnish with spices and serve.