For those who appreciate flavored simple syrups, this Chai Simple Syrup is a great one to have on hand. It makes for some wonderful cocktails, like this Chai Bourbon Fizz. It also adds a new flavor profile when added to milk, lemonade or coffee.
The warming spices of chai masala that make up the flavors of this simple syrup are also quite similar to harvest spices. It will taste right at home in an apple cider for a nice fall drink.
- Make sure the sugar melts, stir frequently
- Let the tea steep for 10 minutes. This is a long time for tea, but we are making a concentrated syrup.
- Let the syrup cool completely before transferring
- Strain while transferring, the masala will create a gritty texture if you don’t.
- Allowing it to cool completely will help soak up the flavors of all of the spices.
Chai Simple Syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 black tea bags
- 1 Tbsp chai masala
- Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Steep tea for 20 minutes. Remove tea bags.
- Allow to cool. Then pour it through a fine mesh strainer into a jar or bottle.