Lasuni Gobi is a tangy, crispy, garlicky Indian-Chinese cauliflower dish. The cauliflower retains its crunch making for a delicious appetizer or snack.
About the Recipe
This is an air fryer recipe for Lasuni Gobi. Lasuni Gobi is an Indian-Chinese dish, similar to Gobi Manchurian, but with more emphasis on garlic flavors and without soy sauce. You can easily deep-fry this recipe instead if you prefer. Use hot oil, 375°F, and fry until golden brown. The air fryer works well for this recipe and is very convenient.
Much like gobi manchurian, lasuni gobi can be served crispy, or made in a wet sauce to be served with rice or noodles. To make it saucy, in place of the 3 tablespoons of water added to the sauce, add a slur of 1 tablespoon corn starch and 1/2 cup of water.
Chili Paste (Sambal Olek)
Lasuni Gobi | Air Fryer Garlic-Cauliflower
- ½ cauliflower
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ tsp granulated garlic or or 1 tsp grated fresh garlic
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic finely chopped (about 6 cloves)
- 1 green chili
- 1 Tbsp chili paste such as Sambal Olek
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 3 Tbsp water
- 4 spring onions sliced
- ½ tsp sesame seeds for garnish
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Slowly add water while mixing to form a thick batter. Mix well with granulated garlic, garam masala, salt, and chili powder.
- Chop cauliflower into 1” floret. Add to batter and mix to coat thoroughly.
- Air fry or deep fry the cauliflower. Air fry for 15 minutes at 375°F; no need to preheat or turn the cauliflower. If deep frying, use hot oil (375°F) until golden.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil on high. When the oil is hot, add the spring onions (save the green slices for garnish), green chili, garlic, ketchup, Sambal Olek, and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir constantly, and heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cauliflower to the sauce. Coat and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sesame seeds.