Dal makhani is such a delicious dal and so versatile. While it is great to eat by itself, it also works marvelously in other foods, such as dal makhani nachos and these dal makhani burritos. Dal makhani makes a great stand-in for refried or black beans, and the extra flavors of the dal makhani elevate the dish.
Why Make this Recipe
This is a great recipe to make when you have leftover Indian food and want to transform it into something new. Use up your leftover basmati rice and dal makhani. Simply warm them in the microwave before adding them to this burrito.
Basmati rice – basmati rice adds a nice texture to the burrito. To make it in the style of Chipotle, add some lime zest and cilantro.
Dal Makhani — great use of leftover dal makhani, whether homemade, from a restaurant, or even store-bought.
Large Flour Tortilla – a 12 or 16-inch tortilla is ideal for a burrito
Cheddar cheese – complements the flavors of dal makhani well. Monterrey jack or pepper jack also works well
Guacamole – adds a lovely creaminess and depth
Chili Oil or Hot Sauce – I use my homemade chili oil or Tapatio if I don’t have any on hand, adds a nice kick.
Pico de Gallo – a classic Mexican salsa that provides freshness and crunch, brightening up the whole burrito. I provide a recipe, but you can just as easily use store-bought.
- Add pickled or fried onions or jalapenos
- Add sour cream
- Crisp in the air fryer: spray with cooking spray, and cook at 375°F for 4 minutes for an air fryer to take on a chimichanga
- Make a wet version, top it with enchilada sauce or Indian simmer sauce, and cheese. Bake in the oven at 350°F for 8 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted
Dal Makhani Burrito
- ¼ cup cooked basmati rice
- ⅓ cup dal makhani
- 1 Extra large flour tortilla
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp guacamole
- 1 tsp chili oil or hot sauce optional
- Pico de Gallo
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 Tbsp raw onion chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- Squeeze of lemon
- Mix together pico de gallo ingredients in a bowl (if making it yourself). Allow to sit for a minute or two.
- Warm the tortilla on a pan over medium heat. Remove from the pan.
- Layer with warm basmati rice and dal makhani. Top with cheddar cheese, guacamole, chili oil, and pico de gallo.
- Wrap and serve.