Cilantro Yogurt Sauce is a versatile, herby delight that comes together effortlessly in a blender. The addition of raw red onion adds a unique twist to this classic condiment. I created this sauce to accompany Tandoori Roasted Cauliflower. It is a modern take on a traditional Indian cilantro-yogurt chutney that is equally at home served alongside spicy Indian dishes as it is alongside Mediterranean grilled meats.
About this Recipe
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce is a perfect companion for Indian dishes, grilled meats, or vegetables. The blend of cilantro, mint, and a hint of spice from Serrano chili is refreshing and bold. Plus, it’s a healthier alternative to heavy sauces, adding freshness to any meal.
Perfect for serving with tandoori dishes like roasted cauliflower, paneer tikka, or baked tandoori chicken wings.
Serve with naan, rice, or as a refreshing dip for a variety of snacks. It’s also a fantastic accompaniment to grilled meats, cheese, and vegetables, like paneer tikka and baked tandoori chicken wings.
Onion: Adds a sharp and slightly sweet flavor to the sauce.
Yogurt: Provides the creamy base and a little tanginess.
Cilantro: Offers a fresh, citrusy note.
Mint: Contributes a cool, refreshing, and subtle sweetness.
Serrano Chili: Brings a crisp, bright heat to the sauce.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months to keep this flavorful sauce on hand whenever needed.
- Adjust the spice level by adding more chili for an extra kick.
- Experiment with other herbs like basil or parsley for a unique twist.
- Introduce a lemony freshness by adding lemon zest to the sauce.
- For garlic lovers, include up to two cloves of fresh garlic or 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic powder.
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup mint leaves or substute 1 tsp dried mint leaves
- ½ small red onion roughly chopped
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ Serrano chili or to taste roughly chopped
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.