I love easy it is to cook this simple cauliflower curry. It is super healthy and it takes just a few minutes of prep and less than 20 minutes to cook from start to finish. It is a weeknight staple in our house.
Cauliflower and Garbanzo Bean Curry (Flower Chana nu Shaak)
- 2 to 3 tomatoes
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, sliced pole to pole
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 small potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 1 bay leaf
- handful of chopped cilantro to garnish
- Toss the cumin seeds onto a cast iron pan (or any other kind of pan that is not non-stick will work) and heat over medium high heat until you can smell the fragrance of the seeds. Keep a eye on it and stir often so that the seeds don’t burn.
- Toss the dry roasted cumin seeds into a blender with the tomatoes and dried red chili. Puree and set aside.
- In a large pot, toss in the oil and sliced onions with a pinch of salt. Saute until translucent.
- Add in the turmeric. Stir and cook for about a minute.
- Add in the tomato puree. Stir and cook until the puree begins to look more like a paste. About 5 minutes.
- Toss in the cauliflower, potato, garbanzo beans, bay leaf and salt.
- Add in 1.5 cups water and stir.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Take off lid and continue to cook uncovered until liquid thickens and the cauliflower is soft. About 10 minutes.