We’ve been on a bit of a hiatus lately with Indiaphile, but I’m always thinking about posting. But it was this recipe for No-Churn Mango Swirl Ice Cream that got me really excited to post again. It uses condensed milk and whipping cream to create a rich base and the classic mango rus or pulp to give it that extra flavor of mango.
I’m really excited to share this one right before the July 4th holiday. It makes a great addition to a summer barbeque which is exactly why I made it. We had some friends over for dinner last night and I decided to fire up the grill to experiment with some tandoori tofu skewers. The tofu turned out great and will be ready to share on the blog soon. We also had some great fresh vegetables from a CSA box that we got a few days ago at a local food blogger’s event hosted by Caffe Calabria and Specialty Produce that I thought would go perfectly with the tofu.
After grilling up the tofu and veggies and sharing a couple of bottles of wine, I brought out this ice cream for dessert. It was a hit! And such a simple recipe too – made with just a handful of ingredients.
No-Churn Mango Swirl Ice Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream, cold
- 1 14 oz can condensed milk, cold
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup mango rus or store bought mango puree, cold
- chopped pistachios for garnish (optional)
- Refrigerate the whipping cream, condensed milk and mango puree until cold.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the whipping cream until peaks are just starting to form.
- Add in the vanilla and nutmeg and whip until incorporated.
- Add in the condensed milk in batches. Pour in a quarter of the can and incorporate with the cream. Repeat three more times and then continue to beat until stiff peaks have formed.
- Pour half the mixture into a bowl or container and smooth out the surface so it is even. Add the mango puree layer gently to avoid mixing the two layers. Top the two layers with the remaining cream mixture.
- Freeze for at least four hours.
- The layers of mango and cream will form swirls as you scoop.
|Serving Size||about 3/4 cup||Sodium||109mg|