It is super easy to make and only 10 minutes of active work!
- When the whey is a clear yellowish liquid, you’ve added enough lemon juice.
- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 lemons
- Bring the quart of milk to boil.
- As soon as it starts boiling, turn off heat.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the milk and stir.
- The milk solids with start to separate from the whey.
- Keep adding more lemon juice until the whey has lost all milkiness. It should be a clear yellowish liquid.
- Line a large sieve with a cheese cloth or paper towel.
- Pour the separated milk through, collecting the milk solids. (You can save the whey to make bread with if you want)
- Collect the four corners of the paper towel or cheese cloth to form a sack around the milk solids. Gently twist the top to squeeze out the liquid whey.
- Place a weighted object on top, canned food works well, and let sit for at least 30 minutes. The weight will help squeeze out more liquid to yield a firmer cheese.
- When you’re ready to use the paneer, unwrap the disc of cheese and cut into cubes.
Makes about 1/2 cup of paneer. Can easily be doubled or quadrupled.